Join me for a No Excuses Facebook chat on my fanpage Sunday, March 25, at 3pm eastern, 2pm central, 1pm mountain, noon pacific, etc. I’ll be on video, you’ll be able to ask questions and talk with others via chat box. It’s easy. Really. And there will be giveaways! Let me know if you’re coming here.
In the spirit of the month, here are links to articles drawing attention to women you may not have heard of—and the awesome things they are doing today.
- Anna Clark has compiled a list of underrated women writers of novels, stories, poems, and graphic novels from around the globe.
- The BBC has profiled some of the women activists involved in Syria’s uprising.
- Bitch Flicks recommends 11 films about trailblazing women.
- Houston Press lists ten of their favorite Female Artists making music today. Rock on ladies!
To learn more about women from the past who may have slipped your radar, check out the accomplishments of these interesting women. Here’s to preventing their loss in the sands of time!
- Lorna Lockwood: the first female Chief justice of a state supreme court. (I am especially proud of this one, as an antidote to what’s happening to women’s rights in Arizona today!)
- Aemilia Lanyer: proto-feminist Renaissance poet and an eloquent apologist for the dignity of women. Check out “Eve’s Apology in Defense of Women” excerpted from her poem Salve Deus Rex Judæorum
- Sarah and Angelina Grimké: 19th century writers and educators, early advocates of the abolitionism and women’s rights movements in the United States.
Click the links, and enjoy the feast of accomplishments by women you might never have heard of—but should have.
Pass this post along to your friends and family. And add your own favorite lesser-knowns in the comments section. Together, we can give women’s history its due.
Latest posts by Catherine Engh (Posts)
- Slutwalks and Such: Who’s Making Women’s History Today? - April 2, 2012
- “Black Woman Novelist” -Toni Morrison Defines Her Own Terms - March 23, 2012
- Lesser-Known Women Often Make History - March 19, 2012